Thursday 8 October 2009

Finally....at long last!!! Thursday 8th October 2009

Hey Guys, sorry long time no type.. it has been such a manic summer, and it has just flown by!! Anyway, now 18 months into having my CI, I still have ups and downs as I deal with new situations. The good stuff is that music and environment sounds is so plentiful and clearer. Speech is still hard to understand and I find background noise a real hindrance!!

Background noise at work is unbearable that I find that I have to take the CI off in order to concentrate as background noise is louder than what I want to hear and I dont have any control over that!! and there is one particular sound at work that has an effect on me same as nails stratching down a blackboard!! eugh!! When its quiet in the office then CI is great and clear. When there's noise then everything gets distorted and loud :-(

Newest sounds are: hearing the sauce bubbling in the casserole dish as I took it out of the oven last night.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Anna,

    I've just been reading your blog and found it really interesting.

    I'm a PhD student at Lancaster Univeristy and my research will broadly investigate the relationship between cochlear implant users and the British Deaf community.

    My initial cohort of participants were cochlear implant users aged 18 - 28 years old. My second cohort will involve widening the age group in order to investigate a range of experiences.

    I will be conducting interviews (either face-to-face, or via MSN or Skype) with interested participants in order to explore issues such as: identity, community membership, and the impact of the technology itself.

    I am posting this message to ask if you might be interested in taking part in my research? If you would like to find out more, please email me (l.snell@lancaster.ac.uk) and I will send you an information sheet.

    Best wishes,
    Laura.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hearing the sauce bubbling is a nice one. I used to get shouted at by my ex-partner for not hearing the dinner burning. I am getting Nucleus 5 after christmas and have always been deaf as a result of prematurity, so will be following your blog with interest. I live in London and am getting it done at RNNTE. I'm not a BSL user though! So it's scary for me to go through as I have only a little BSL to fall back on if it doesn't work well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi

    Thanks for your comments - how are you getting on with the Nucleus 5? Are you aware of the West London CI group?

    ReplyDelete