Monday 4 February 2008

Monday 4th February 2008 - Operation Day


Err.. trying to catch up - looks like I will be putting a February's posting in December haha while I try to work all this blog stuff out!! OK.. now rewinding the tape to go back to 4th February 2008...


I was a nervous wreck this morning. My operation was scheduled for 8.30am and I had to arrive at the hospital at 7.30am. I couldn't sleep properly the night before. Then it was time to get up - my parents were staying at my house and my Dad came in. I then got ready and we were at the hospital by 7.30am. I didn't bother put the hearing aid in my right ear that morning. I was very nervous about the injection in the hand for the anaesthetic, but they put some local anaesthetic cream on so when they put the main needle in I didnt feel anything. My mum came into the anaesthetic room with me. I saw my surgeon who I saw just before the op and my mum translated what the anaesthetist was saying to me. They said that they were going to put the stuff in me now and that I would feel woozy. So I turned to my Mum whose hand I was holding and said "I love you" and mum said "I love you too" and the next thing I remember is coming round in the recovery room.It was weird, I don't remember feeling sleeping as the anaesthetic was put in. Just that I was coming round after the op and I felt like as though I was waking up on a normal morning in my own bed at my house. When I opened my eyes I realised that I was in the hospital recovery room and that I had a mask over my face and was attached to the drip. I felt nothing - I felt fine - I felt as though nothing has happened. Then I saw the male nurse who was standing next to me who was holding my hand. I said to him "Oh hello - has it been done - the cochlear implant operation?" He said "Yes". I replied "Oh wow - how did it go?" He gave me the thumbs up to tell me it went very well. I then saw the clock on the wall and saw that the operation took 3 hours.Then they wheeled me to my room - yes I had my own room at the hospital - thanks goodness for that - I didn't particulary want to share a room with another person as I don't like hospitals. As soon as I was in the room, they took me off the drip. The mask came off as soon as I awoke. I was then drinking water normally and I felt absolutely fine. My Mum came over pretty quickly and she brought me my mobile and my camera. I cried when I saw her, and so did she. It was relief. Then we chatted for a while and then she went after about an hour and a half. I then spent the rest of the afternoon busy texting my friends as they were all asking me how I was and how did it go. The time flew past fast, my surgeon and the co-ordinator of the CI centre checked to make sure I was ok and about 6pm a friend came over to see me. It was great to see her and good of her to come and see me. Then it was supper time and I was starving. My friend helped cut my food and helped me. Then I realised I couldnt chew properly as it hurt the cochlear implant area abit. So I couldn't eat much. Later my friend went home and then I texted my Mum to ask her that when she come over to see me later if she could bring some soft food. My Mum said yes. She came over later with guess - chocolate flake!! I was pleased for that and ate it. Then my Mum helped me out of the bed and that was the first time I walked since the CI op. My balance was fine, but surprisingly my legs felt weak. Then later in the evening, my mum went back to my house and I sat in bed doing the sukudo. Then it was time to sleep and I couldnt sleep cos the nurses kept coming to check blood pressure or give me pills!!

No comments:

Post a Comment