Saturday 13 September 2008

Saturday 13th September 2008 - BBC Proms in the Park


My sister as a present to me for going through my Cochlear Implant operation and experience kindly bought us tickets to go and see BBC Proms in the Park at Hyde Park in London and my.. this was an awesome experience.

We got off the tube at Oxford Circus, got our picnic from John Lewis Waitrose on Oxford Street and then made our way to the Marble Arch entrance to Hyde Park. It was a beautiful day, there was clear sunny skies and it was quite warm. We had to wait in a long queue before we could enter the park. Finally we got in and found ourselves an area to sit in where we could see the stage. Once we had found our place, I went off and got us a joker hat and the Union Jack flag to wave for the Patriotic music like Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia.

There was a series of band including the Abba Tribute band playing, I knew some of the songs, but I didn't have the words. I found them on the internet via my mobile and then my sister mouthed the words so that I could lip-read her so that I knew where we were. I could hear the music, but I was at the stage where music was still being worked on. However.. later on a violinist came on (forgotten his name) and he played really really fast and I could hear him really well with the implant. I found the higher frequency instruments easier and clearer to hear. Aled Jones and Terry Wogan presented the show, but I couldn't understand what they were saying so my sister translated. But it was a good listening experience and the atmosphere was so amazing as we had clear skies, a beautiful sunset and it was nice and warm. It couldn't be better.

Then at the end of the evening, we had the Patriotic stuff, and I particularly enjoyed taking part in Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia as we had the words and we were waving the flag. It was so British and so good to be part of this and it sent a great feeling to be there and be part of it.

Thanks sister for a brilliant and magical night.

No comments:

Post a Comment