Sunday 20 April 2008

Sunday 20th April 2008 - Swinging thru the trees at Go Ape

Today I did Go Ape with three friends today. For those who don't know what Go Ape is, it is a high wire rope assault course consisting of rope ladders, different rope bridges, tarzan swings and zip wires in the tree tops. During the briefing the instructor wore the transmitter and one of my friends interpreted for me into BSL to make sure I got all the information and another friend had to make sure that I was watching a few times. Then once we had completed Site 1 (there are 5 altogether and get more hard and challenging - site 5 is the hardest and most challenging), one of my friends then went and collected the transmitter from the instructor and then he put it on. Up on the rope bridges across the other sites, at least this friend can get my attention to tell me things like if I have hooked myself on the safety system the wrong way round etc. It really made communication easier even though he always remained next to me. It even worked when I had landed safely from the zip wire and I was able to hear him from 120m away and up in the tree tops. There was one sentence that he said “Can you hear me?” I just about managed to pick that up without lip-reading from 120 metres and I tried to give a visual indication to say “yes”.

I was worried about my processor falling off whilst I was up in the tree tops as below you on the forest floor is undergrowth and it would be impossible to find your processor if it fell. I secured the processor onto my ear using a huggie and then I wore one of those Austrailan Buff head bands to secure the magnet and also to protect the area where the internal part of the implant is from knocking on the pulley and safety wire. I also used one of those Phonak kiddie clips to extra secure my processor to my clothing. Therefore there was no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment