Saturday 29 March 2008

Saturday 29th March 2008 - Deaf Day

Today was the real testing day. I went to London to the Deaf Day at City Lit and this was the first time I had been back in the Deaf Community since my cochlear implant. I know a lot of people in the Deaf Community who are strong Deaf Culture and strong BSL users like myself and I was alittle nervous about how some of them might respond to my cochlear implant.

Then throughout the day I was in various parts of Central London and on and off the Underground and I became aware of some sounds could be heard in both my ears, some sounds could only be heard by my hearing aided ear and some sounds could only be heard by my cochlear implanted ear. I went to the Deaf Day event and realised that a lot of my “D” eaf mates and acquaintances who know me well and didn’t know that I had a CI were absolutely fine. They didn’t treat me any different than before I had my CI and they still accepted me as an important member of the Deaf Community. I was so relieved for that. As the day went on, I went to the Oxford / Cambridge Boat Race with some of my Deaf friends.

I eventually left London at 11.15pm and got home at 1am (2am British Summertime). As I walked into my kitchen I became aware of some ticking noise and realised it was my London Underground clock on the wall. Then as I stood in my hall downstairs I became aware of some rhythmatic alarm sound going off and went upstairs to investigate as I couldn’t think of anything downstairs to cause that. And it was actually my alarm clock – I was amazed to be able to hear that from downstairs!! Never in my life have I heard this before and then to hear it for the first time from downstairs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment